Friday, March 24, 2006

Klaar voor de Ronde?

I've been talked into doing the whole Ronde van Vlaanderen next Saturday. Actually, I talked myself into doing it and it was surprisingly easy. No, I haven't done a 256 km ride with 17 hills and 20 km of cobbles...ever, and I haven't (and won't have) done anything over 130km this year, but what the hell. Jo VDH has done it, and we'll start in Brugge together at the somewhat early time of 7am. Jeez I hope it ain't raining.

Today it was stinking hot. It got up to 16 in the afternoon and it felt strange. The morning was better: 7 degrees and raining, and I really enjoyed my 100km ride. For some reason - I think it had something to do with next Saturday - I decided to do some hills. Not fun in the wet. Definitely no cobbled climbs either.

The cafe count is now up to 14. This week: Marimain, In Den Turk (supposedly the oldest cafe in Gent - 1288) and another next to St Baaf's that's done up in a black and white motif. Marimain's Reinhard's local one, so we went there after the gym. In Den Turk was quite cool and has a jazz theme. And the black and white one was, at least, different.

I have still to try West Vleteren. Only then will my absolution be complete.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

Don't be afraid of the RVV,you will fly over the hills and cobbles. Jo will guide you very well. See to it that you keep on eating and drinking regularly.
About the West Vleteren trappist. Your absolution will be complete when you empty three of them. I talk to Jo tomorrow and we arange something to make it happen.

Cheers, Philippe

Anonymous said...

echt RVV-weer is juist regen en wind, soft Aussie
drinken zal met gids Jo geen probleem geven en frituren zijn er genoeg in Vlaanderen
voor West-Vleteren moeten we toch eens iets deftig afspreken (zowel bij Mia als Westhoek, le plats pays)

tot morgen bij droog weer!

'n pseudo flandrien

Jeff Jones said...

De pseudo Flandrien,

Waar was je vanmorgen? Het was bijna droog! Bijna...

The soft Aussie

Anonymous said...

sukkel al met dipje ('k heb gene fond gelijk Jo Fondriest) dus weekje kalm, zonder fiets, misschien morgen (vrijdag), als het niet te nat is, een beetje losrijden tegen zondag - Berchem met Luc S.

by the way, Meerbeke: bijna de streek van de geuze (hmmm)

de objevtieve bierproever (met nadruk op proeven)