Friday, February 09, 2007

Snow business

Snowy Bath. OK, it's not that snowy.
© Jeff Jones


Finally, it snowed here and England is officially buggered again. But they won the cricket, so it's not all doom and gloom.

I set off into the snow on Thursday, with camera and a complete disregard for the weather. It was snowing when I left, and I managed 15 km on the bike path to Bristol before the snow started getting too deep to ride on in a straight line. So I stopped, took some pics, and went home. I did it again on Friday with John, but it was sleeting instead of snowing. It was cold.

This was about as far as I got - the outskirts of Bristol
© Jeff Jones

The snow was getting deeper here
© Jeff Jones

Ice, ice baby
© Jeff Jones

Ice in the gears
© Jeff Jones

Extra proof of insanity, if that was needed
© Jeff Jones

Snow on the hills
© Jeff Jones

It was good riding weather on the way home
© Jeff Jones


The snow (actually it was a fire, but I'm sure it was the snow's fault) almost brought my company to its knees on Friday. Shortly before 12, the fire alarm went off, so all of us in Quay Mansions very slowly made our way to the fire exit. By slow, I mean I had time to deliberate whether to take my bag, scarf and umbrella, before just deciding on the bag for some reason. And I was still first to the fire exit.

I remarked to Matt C that it would be funny if the fire was at the bottom of the stairs. As it turned out I was almost right, because the over-warm electrical room that was causing the trouble was right next to the exit. There wasn't a real fire (I just threw that in for effect) but we still had to cross the road and assemble in the car park. It was probably safer to stay in the building than cross that road and risk being cleaned up by one of Bath's Park and Ride buses.

After 15 minutes of shivering, watching four fire engines come and do their thang, we were told it would be at least another half an hour before we could go back in. There was only one option: go to The Raven for a few pints, bangers and mash. A very productive two hours followed with the MBUK crew. We returned to work in a somewhat merrier frame of mind, especially as our building hadn't been razed to the ground.

The good thing is that, despite a cancelled train, Lucy and Pete are coming this evening. That means we can go to the pub again.

No comments: