Saturday, December 02, 2006

Associated bilge

Here is a quick one as I contemplate riding to London not via the national cycle network. Reason for visit: Our mutual friend Carolyn is having going away drinks because she's gwine back to Oz, having spent the last few years working for the British library. Venue: I think we're meeting at a certain sushi bar in Piccadilly.

In other news, the TV here is superior to the beer. Hell, they even have episodes of the Simpsons that I haven't seen yet. Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and Never Mind the Buzzcocks are probably my favourite shows of the moment. I remember NMtB from watching it in Belgium in 1998, and it has aged well. And for a laugh, there's always Unversity Challenge ("Rah rah rah, smash the oiks!"). Cousin Ant will be on that at some stage.

Now, how to navigate into London not via the norf circular.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff, How is life in England?We (Guido, Jo and I)are cycling a lot on the indoor track in the Blaarmeersen. Yesterday I did 62 km with an average speed of 41 kmph. For an old one, like me, that is not too bad. I hope you are jealous now. You will miss Belgium because of the cycling. Greetings, Philippe

Jeff Jones said...

Hi Philippe,

It's quite different here, that's for sure. I do miss several things about Belgium, the cycling being one of them. But I'm getting used to it here. I rode to London yesterday (200 km) and back from Reading today (125 km), so I can keep a semblance of condition.

As far as bunch riding goes, there's no equivalent to the Schelde ride. I've been out with Bath CC a couple of times and although it's great to learn the back lanes with them, the 'fast group' only averages 25 km/h! I've been told that there's a Saturday 9:30 ride starting at Chippenham cemetery each week, and they go reasonably quick. I'll do that when I can get organised to get up there.

Hope you're all keeping well! I'll let you know when I'm coming back for a visit.

cheers,
Jeff