Sunday, October 29, 2006

Rupelmonde

A couple of weeks before I departed Belgium for the all-brown metropolis of Bath (very noice), I made a long expected trip to Rupelmonde, the one-time abode of Mercator. If you don't know who Mercator is or where Rupelmonde is, you should look it up on a map. I can reveal that Rupelmonde is on the Schelde, near Antwerp, but in the opposite direction to the one I normally ride in.

I set off one foggy morning, fittingly armed with my own map of the Schelde. The plan was to ride along the river for as long as possible, and I found you can almost go the whole way along a wide path. It was quite an interesting ride, and even though the fog didn't lift until the way home, I enjoyed the difference in scenery compared to the usual run down to Oudenaarde.

It took me about 70 km to get to Rupelmonde, as my map and navigating skills were probably inferior to Mercator's. But I was pleased to find a statue of him when I got there, and quite a few things dotted around the town recognising his achievements. I couldn't tarry for too long, so I went back along the very windy path to Temse, then cut across country straight back to Gent. It was only about 50 km coming home.

All in all, a nice ride with lots to see along the way.

It was a foggy day for a ride
© Jeff Jones

A boat with an orange hue
© Jeff Jones

Clearly, this is Rupelmonde
© Jeff Jones

The man himself: Mercator!
© Jeff Jones

Down by the water at Rupelmonde
© Jeff Jones

A boat with a red hue
© Jeff Jones

Heading home
© Jeff Jones

Coming up to Temse
© Jeff Jones

No comments: