Thursday, February 02, 2006

Two things

One, we broke the Heffron record on Tuesday. 15 laps in 39'55 (and then we got an extra lap for good measure). That's 45.5 km/h, and is bloody quick for Heffron. Quickest I can remember doing before that was 40'20 in 1995.

There were no particular stars there, except for Chris Sutton. We just had 15 "regulars" and pretty much ideal conditions: a light southerly, humid, and 25 degrees. It had also been some time since we caught B and C grade on a Tuesday, so there was motivation. Easts have been trying to win the series from C grade with their designated GC rider Aaron Richardson, but really...

First lap: 2'49, two laps: 5'27, three laps: 8'04, then we sat on a consistent 2'37 / lap until we picked up B grade with about four to go and C with 3 to go. We slowed down when we caught the two grades, but still did the 15 laps in under 40 minutes. Then we were given an extra lap, but it didn't really matter. Stuart Dangerfield won it with a last lap attack.

I was liking my Conti GP4000s, and had no problems on the corners until about the 9th lap when I suddenly felt like I had a puncture. It was weird, and I pulled off the back, only to discover I didn't have one. Grr. Was doing OK before that. I chased but the pace was still on, so I ended up taking a short lap to rejoin, but of course was out of contention. Oh well.

The second thing is a recipe for Jeff's Lucky Jade Heavenly Chicken, as I have re-christened it. It was inspired by Ma, who told me what to do, and I have now shamelessly appropriated it.

To save duplication, I won't bother with a list of ingredients. First, chop up onions, garlic, ginger, shallots, and maybe a chilli if you want. Also slice some capsicum, zucchini, carrot, snow peas, baby corn, whatever. Better still, get mum to do all this.

Chop up your chicken breasts into chunks. Then stick 'em in a plastic bag with some flour and five spice powder. Shake it all around, stir fry it with the onions/garlic/ginger/shallots, then stick it in a metal bowl somewhere. Preferably out of sight.

Stir fry the rest of the veggies and at the end, bung in some soy sauce and hoi-sin sauce. This is what gives the dish its unique flavour. I call it Excellent Soy/Hoi-Sin flavour. Re-add the chicken and stuff, which is probably stone cold by now, so you'd better not turn off the gas. Sprinkle a bit of sesame oil over the top and serve with a dish of delicious noodle.

No comments: