Friday, December 02, 2005

Rain stops play

I'm here in the nation's glorious and unsullied capital, Canberra. If all had gone according to plan, I would have just finished a criterium in the city centre. But all did not go according to plan, as at approx. 4:30 pm, Parliament House Time, the heavens opened and our glorious capital was battered and drenched in a thunderstorm. It was still raining heavily at 6pm, so the organisers decided to call it off. Hmm. This would never happen in Belgium! Admittedly, there would have been a few crashes...

So I'm holed up in room 209 of the Saville Park Suites on Northbourne Ave, and very nice it is. Well it's better than getting wet. I'm also updating the blog because the alternative - watching "The World's Biggest Loser" or whatever it's called - sends a chill through my soul.

What I did today

Much mucking around. I planned to leave Sydney at 10am, Petersham Central Time, but things conspired against me, and it wasn't until midday, Stanmore Cycles Time, that I finally set off. Driving the (t)rusty Laser lent to me by Simone, Steve and Charlie the dog, I ended up on the M5, but decided to visit a service station in Hurstville after I heard an alarming sound when I turned on the aircon. I checked everything with the dude at the servo, and he assured me that everything was OK and the car was in tip-top condition. I drove the rest of the way with the aircon off, sweltering slightly.

I made it to Canberra at 4pm, Saville Park Suites Time, and had to make a Decision. Well, I'd come all this way so after calling the media person, I drove approx. 1 km to the start/finish of the crit, where it was raining heavily. After consulting the oracle at the race, who had examined the auspices (the BOM site), I learned that it was all orf for this evening. However, there will be a consolation criterium run on Sunday. That'll give me something to do then, before dropping in on Colin and Pat in the arvo and then heading back to Sydney.

Somewhat desolate, I found a food court in some mall in central Canberra (how I hate malls). I partook of a Dai Ho Combination Laksa, followed by a caramel slice and a caramelatte at Gloria Jean's (how I hate Gloria Jean's, but it was that or Macca's or Hungry Jack's for anything resembling dessert).

What an evening.

Here are some pics, including those of sculpture by the sea

Rain stopped play in Canberra on Friday. Wimps!
©: Jeff Jones

The fountain of youth is in Canberra, our nation's glorious capital.
©: Jeff Jones

Hugh Kimber wants to race!
©: Jeff Jones

Check out this food court in Canberra. It's great.
©: Jeff Jones

Our landscaper Mick Purdy's People's Choice winning sculpture.
©: Jeff Jones

Cool, eh? You could own this for $27,000, if it wasn't already sold.
©: Jeff Jones

The Dali-esque sculpture from Mongolia.
©: Jeff Jones

More Dali from Mongolia.
©: Jeff Jones

Sculpture by the sea. How about one of these on your patio.
©: Jeff Jones

This wave won a prize, I think.
©: Jeff Jones

Crushed aluminium cans qualify as a sculpture.
©: Jeff Jones

Look at the sculptures, Ma.
©: Jeff Jones

Bondi. I don't think this won a prize.
©: Jeff Jones

No comments: